Before I invest too much time in a category that could be grammatically incorrect, can someone tell me if I am correct in using ‘then’ instead of ‘than’. Seriously, grammar police… help me.
With lots of leftovers from our chicken gyro’s, I made one of my all-time favorite meals. PIZZA. I’ve tried it a few ‘healthy’ ways, and this one falls into the ‘pretty-much’ healthy category.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Diced chicken (from gyro recipe)
- diced red onion (from gyro recipe)
- Pita/whole wheat wrap/salad base (from gyro recipe)
- Fresh Parsley
- Buffalo sauce
- Gorgonzola cheese (or blue cheese… or nothing if you hate the taste)
- Shredded Cheese (any kind will work, mine was fat-free with 2% milk from Aldi)
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375
- Take pita and drizzle with olive oil (If you’re using a wrap- lay it on a plate and drizzle a little with olive oil, if you’re using a salad base, put salad in a bowl). For the pita and wrap, set it on a baking sheet.
- Next, take the chopped chicken and toss in buffalo sauce. Top on pita/wrap/salad.
- Sprinkle Gorgonzola, red onion, and (just a little) shredded cheese on your base.
- Stick pita in the oven. (If you’re using a wrap, I recommend rolling it like a burrito. The ingredients are too heavy for a sophisticated pizza eating experience.) If you’re eating a salad, you’re good to go!
- Bake pizza/wrap for about 6-8 minutes, until cheese is melted and there is slight browning on wrap/pizza.
- Once out of the oven, top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Why this recipe works:
- There are less than 200 calories in a whole wheat wrap or 1/2 of a pita.
- Chicken is a great protein, a little buffalo sauce adds flavor.
- Choosing cheese that is 2% will allow you to feel ‘indulgent’ without adding too many calories. (I typically sprinkle about 2 TBSP)
- It’s a MUCH better alternative to Domino’s and has close to the same nutrition facts as a lean cuisine pizza.